Music Composition –Rehearsal Techniques – Recording Artist – Conductor - Curriculum Development – Music Pedagogy - Jazz Studies –Instrumental Performer - Marketing – Promotions– Events Coordinator – Public Relations – Management
Seasoned and highly motivated professional, utilize over 30 years of broad management and leadership background within music industry and experience as Trombone Instrumentalist. A Master of Music Degree in Composition/ Theory graduate with Bachelor of Music with Music Composition/ Theory major. Exhibits expertise in Music Performance, Pedagogy, Business, Management, Production, Recording/Sound Reinforcement, and Music Marketing/Commerce; with familiarity in current trends and practices in music business. Demonstrates ability to prioritize competing demands and deadlines, both internal and external. Currently holds Valid United States Passport and Government Secret Security Clearance.
Master of Music; major in Composition/Theory (GPA 3.80)
Graduated summa cum laude
Norfolk State University, Norfolk, VA: May, 2003
Bachelor of Music; major in Music Composition/Theory (GPA 3.45)
Graduated cum laude
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA: December, 1997
P&O princess cruises international
musician trombone/composer/Arranger: 2008
Trombone instrumentalist performing a wide variety of music while at sea international travel.
- Outstanding and consistent performer as a Trombonist for guest entertainers, variety acts, full production shows, Jazz improvisational soloist, and Dixieland. Composed and Arrange music from C.D. or Digital format for performers with short noticed, while at Sea aboard the Emerald Princess in the Mediterranean and Caribbean Seas.
Manpower Plans and Policy –Headquarters Marine Corps – Washington D.C Pentagon
Occupational Field Manager: 2007-2008
Liaised between U.S. Marine Bands, Presidents Own Marine Band, U.S. Marine Band Drum, and Bugle Corps in regards to policy and structure. Communicated with Manpower for Marine Musicians Assignments. Processed Marine Band requests on Headquarters Marine Corps level, instituting the reorganization of procedures through a web base program. Addressed and responded to Congressional Inquires of Interest. Handled maintenance of Headquarters Marine Corps and Pentagon computer software and systems.
- Effectively modified Training and Education Manual for Marine Band Occupational Field
- Efficiently administered 13 Marine Bands throughout United States and overseas with more than 650 personnel
- Developed Marine Band Occupational Field plans and policies
- Successfully planned and arranged Military Occupational Specialty Manual
2nd Marine Division Band – NC
Band Master/ Assistant Director/Guard officer in combat: 2005-2007
Corresponded and spearheaded in different environments; used leadership and proficiency in using Finale and MIDI recording software. Ensured security and management of confidential materials.
- Effectively utilized outstanding management skills; consistently and regularly received admiring comments from the media, local dignitaries, and senior military personnel
- Complimented as Band Master for 300 performances
- Successfully contended with deployment to Ar Ramadi, Iraq; coordinated, trained, supervised, and counseled Guard Force consisting of 192 personnel without incident
- Effectively relocated Marine Band personnel, which resourcefully instituted program for high performance level while performing billet responsibilities as Band Officer
Armed Forces School of Music – Norfolk, VA
Guided, oversaw, assessed, and accommodated more than 40,000 personnel for Army, Navy, and Marine Corps Music Programs. Directed various environments.
- Acquired skills in pedagogy with Finale and MIDI recording software
- Effectively developed and taught Music Programming, Conducting, Arranging, Theory, Ear Training, Rehearsal Techniques, Advance Harmony, Band Administration, traditional and Jazz curriculums
- Commended as freelance trombonist and music educator
Marine Band – Quantico, VA
Band Master/ Senior Enlisted: 2000-2002
Organized, processed, and directed more than 400 performances and performed conducting performances in Ireland Peerless teacher for 50 Marine Musicians. Served as conductor, mentor, and educator. Utilized Finale and MIDI recording software. Generated, conducted, and performed trombone on Marine Marathon Anniversary Compact Disc.
- Successfully positioned Marines to primary locations as Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection for probable succeeding attacks due to September 11 terrorist attacks
- Recognized as Freelance trombonist and educator
Armed Forces School of Music – Norfolk, VA
Instructor, Theory/ Ear Training/ Conductor/ Composer/ Trombonist/ Curriculum Development: 1997-2000
Instructed, administered, evaluated, and employed more than 30,000 personnel for Army, Navy, and Marine Corps Music Programs. Served as rehearsal conductor and performance conductor. Acclaimed performances with Faculty Jazz and Wind Ensembles. Served as freelance trombonist and educator, musician union member, and local 125. Performed with Virginia Beach Symphony/Commonwealth Musical Stage.
- Effectively developed and taught conducting, arranging, theory, Ear Training, Rehearsal Techniques, Band Administration, as well as traditional and Jazz curriculums
- Full Time Student, Old Dominion University, Marine Corps Staff Degree Completion Program,1996-1997
- Instructor, Theory/Ear Training Instructor, Composer, Arranger, Trombonist, Armed Forces School of Music Trombonist -Norfolk, Virginia, 1993-1996
- Marine Musician, Trombonist, Arranger, Conductor, Section Leader, Marine Band Hawaii, 1990-1993
- Marine Musician/ Trombone Instrumentalist/ Conductor/ Section Leader/ Music Librarian, Marine Band New Orleans, 1987-1990
- Marine Musician/Trombone Instrumentalist/ Section Leader, Marine Band Okinawa Japan, 1985-1986
- Marine Musician/ Trombone Instrumentalist, Marine Band California, 1983-1985
- Marine Musician/ Trombone Instrumentalist, Marine Band -North Carolina, 1982-1983
- Marine Corps Boot Camp, Parris Island South Carolina, 1981-1982
- Certified for Substitute Teaching in Virginia Beach Public Schools
- International Association of Jazz Educators Teacher Training Institute, Jazz Pedagogy -San Antonio, TX
- Music Advance Course, Armed Forces School of Music -Norfolk VA
- Music Intermediate Course, Armed Forces School of Music -Norfolk VA
- Music Basic Course, Armed Forces School of Music -Norfolk VA
Biltmore Who’s Who | International Association of Jazz Educators | International Association of Band Educators
National Veteran-Owned Business Association| Department of Veterans Affairs | Disabled Veterans of America
Musician/Private Tutor, home studio. Volunteers and Freelance as a Trombonist/Conductor/Composer/Arranger/Educator in the local area.
Contact Mark for bookings and your musical needs: